Software-Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN) is the latest innovation when it comes to WAN technology. While it provides many benefits over the traditional WAN, understanding exactly what it does and how it can help your business is the first step in deciding if this new innovation is right for you.
What is SD-WAN?
SD-WAN creates a virtual overlay to the current WAN connection while being controlled by a centralized software application. This will provide an efficient and cost-effective way to deploy and manage remote branch connections.
There are many benefits provided by SD-WAN, which is preparing companies to consider making the switch to the centralized application. Savings can run in the range of 20-40% vs. traditional WAN technology. Other benefits, noted by Cisco, include:
- Better Application Experience
- Increased Security
- Optimized Cloud Connectivity
- Simplified Management
With companies making the switch, Networkworld envisions these trends to pop-up with the popularity of SD-WAN increasing the following
- Vendor Viability – As SD-WAN becomes standard it is expected that marginal SD-WAN vendors will either exit the market or be acquired
- Accelerating Cloud Onramps – Suppliers have partnerships with cloud platforms such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and Oracle, using a number of methods to speed up traffic coming from and off the platforms
- Improved Support for SaaS – IT can set specific policy, security, and compliance criteria within the SD-WAN management portals for each SaaS service
- Built-in Security – Suppliers have already added encryption and firewalls to ensure protection from security and data breaches. Other security measures could include visibility into applications and devices for auditing and compliance.
- Enhanced Security Partnerships – Buyers should expect SD-WAN functionality to be integrated with their favorite network security products.
- Management, Automation, and Orchestration – Set application performance priorities and allow the network to make routing decisions. Quickly change locations, add or drop ISP’s, and connect IoT devices. Integrate dashboards that will graphically display the network’s health and performance.
Transitioning to SD-WAN With Kobargo
With new technologies comes new challenges and problems. Kobargo can help you and your business in this transition. With nearly 50 years of experience working in technology, we will resolve the burden of IT management so you can focus on the important day-to-day aspects of your business. Contact us today for more information.